Wednesday 8 May 2013

In What Way Does Your Media Product Use, Develop or Challenge Forms and Conventions of Real Media Products

Trailer:

My film both conforms to and challenges traditional conventions of real media products, for example my film includes the use of text, this conforms to the conventions as it is used in many different action film trailers, it is used briefly in "The Dark Knight Rises" and more excessively in "End of Watch". The main use of it in my trailer is it takes the place of narration and includes rhetorical questions. These help involve the viewer and makes them think about the trailer so that it stays in their mind. "The Dark Knight Rises" only uses it to announce the director of the film and used speech from the film to aid the story telling. "End of Watch" however uses more of the text.


One of the most common of the conventions of  a trailer was the fact that they all have a green Motion Picture Association of America screen which informs the viewer of the age rating of the trailer. Due to the fact i was aiming for mine to be as authentic as i could possibly make it, i decided to use it at the beginning of my trailer. 


My choice of music however challenged the usual conventions of an action trailer as they usually contain Rock or Rap music in order the excite and engage the viewer in the trailer, fast upbeat songs help to enhance the action and is used in the "End of Watch" trailer. My song doesn't fit either of those genres and i decided that this would be a convention i would like to challenge, seeing as in "The Dark Knight Rises" they use a completely different style of music but it works really well so i decided to try it myself.

Poster:

I wanted my poster to be as professional as possible so i decided to conform to the majority of conventions. As the title of the film is the most important piece of text i decided to make it the largest, and placed it centrally near the bottom of the page. I wanted the title to be noticeable but wanted to majority of the attention to be focused on the photograph itself, as the title is portrayed through the picture.

I also noticed that posters include a credit block and the bottom of the poster that credits the main people involved in the production of the film, i found a template and personalized my own custom credit block for my film. After placing it at the bottom it definitely made it look more like an actual movie poster.

Magazine Cover:

I wanted my magazine cover to be as authentic as possible so i closely followed the conventions of Total Film magazine. It included a black, white and red colour scheme which is very common in media magazines, such as film and music magazines. It challenges conventions in the way that it is slightly more minimalitstic than other film magazines as i wanted it to stand out with the large amount of white.

No comments:

Post a Comment